Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Hutterites in Montana



So I went to Montana a couple of weeks ago. I love Montana!
AND ANYTIME I can travel with my family is a good time.
Well, one day in the middle of NOWHERE, we came across a compound of Hutterites. They are a religious group located in Montana. I saw a lot of Hutterites in the city of Great Falls. They are easy to spot
because the woman wear head scarves, that are black with white polka dots. And the men look Amish. In Montana they have a great deal of Hutterites. ... And how we ended up on this compound is another story:

So While I was on the compound, I had the sweetest woman in the world befriend me. She had lived in
Montana her whole life. But she talked with a thick Sweedish accent. She was raised as a Hutterite, I'm guessing she's in her mid sixties. She has spent her whole life living as a Hutterite on a compound. She has never lived in society! That is just mind blowing to me. She's never worn makeup, never had here hair done. She even makes her own clothes soap out of lye!!
It was like we had stepped into Little House on The Prairie!

I DO HAVE A POINT TO THIS STORY.

So as this woman told me about her life. She kept bringing us out goodies from the kitchen. She brought these yummy warm perfect hand made rolls. She told me every friday the women in the compound make 500 rolls! They all eat together. My kids were starving , so they woofed them down. As I was bolusing my son, for the roll.
My Son with T1D asked me to ask, her how many children living there have T1D?
Well here's the kicker not one of their children have T1D!!!!!
This woman who had to be in her sixties, has never known a child to have DIABETES! Her Son In Law was the head accountant. All the money from the farm goes into a communal pot and he pays the medical bills for the compound. He said no children here have ever had Diabetes???(Wouldn't he know he pays the bills.)

This Hutterite woman could not believe my son had to have shots and he has to be tested at least five times day. She was so ignorant to T1D disease. she said "So he has to take pills and watch his weight like the older men here with Diabetes?"
"No it's not like that, my son is insulin dependent. He must have insulin to keep him alive."
"This little precious boy has to have insulin always?"
"Yes" I shake my head, knowing she's now understands.
Her sympathies were heightened, her eyes became teary. "Oh that is so sad it makes me want to cry. I'll be back." She says and heads back over to the kitchen. And returns with a huge tomato for my son with T1D.
My son graciously acceptes it. And looked at me like NOW WHAT? ( My son hates tomatoes, but he understands the gesture and holds on to it.)

SO WHY ARE THERE NO CHILDREN WITH TYPE 1 DIABETES LIVING ON THE HUTTERITES COMPOUND?????
YOU KNOW THE STATICTIS 15,000 CHILDREN EVERY YEAR DIAGNOSED, 40 A DAY
WHY ARE THEY IMMUMINE ????
THEY HAVE 130 TO 150 PEOPLE LIVING ON COMPOUNDS. They branch off if the numbers exceed this.

They are a self contained community. They don't have junk food or fast food. I even joked about how do they get to a Wal- Mart when they need chocolate? She just smiled at me because, She's never made a candy run!!!! Did you read that right NEVER MADE A CANDY RUN! She lives an hour and half a way from a city. Oh I could not live there.

This experience has definitely peaked my interest. I'm not willing to leave my religion to join the Hutterites. And finding out statistics it difficult because they don't communicate with the outside world. Is there anyone in Blogger space that knows how this could be possible?





This is some information on the HUTTERITES.
Isolated on the prairies of Montana far from mainstream America the Hutterites live on large farms and ranches. They shun the modern world. They practice communal living through shared ownership of all property and income. They carefully protect their spiritual life by avoiding world temptations- no Televisions - radio's -car's or dancing. By: Laura Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment